The Sandbox: Episode 30, Rat Tails, Sandboxes, & Avatars.

We made it to big episode 30 and it couldn’t have been at a better time. In this episode we go in depth with some big announcements!

• What we’ve been up to.
  • Darkfall: Unholy Wars new skilling up system
  • Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues – We cover the kickstarter, as well as the announced features!
  • Albion Online – Could this be the game we’ve been waiting for all along?
  • Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar – there’s only room for one Avatar in this town…

16 thoughts on “The Sandbox: Episode 30, Rat Tails, Sandboxes, & Avatars.

1. Neg

Good cast! Looking forward to trying out some of the mentioned games in the future (SotA, Albion.) I’m still working on my PC, so I haven’t had a chance to play anything lately.

P.S. Quint mentioned loving Star Trek and Champions Online, both developed by Cryptic Studios. Have you, or anyone else tried their new Neverwinter game in beta? I’ve been hearing good things, mainly from the combat and the Foundry (their built-in quest/dungeon creator/editor.)

1. Quint Post author

I haven’t had a chance to try Neverwinter Online but like I’m hoping it will be fun, and I’m sure one of these days I’ll get around to gettin in the beta.

2. Gumbercules

I liked the cast a lot and I think you guys should keep the music. I loved it when Coolit was like “Well here are the things I DON’T like about Shroud of the Avatar…” was pretty damn funny.

Just ready today that Garriot & Co. are bumping up the Kick Starter donation rewards. This one in particular caught my eye –

$150 Tier (COLLECTOR) – Collector level now contains:

NEW: Mysterious physical artifact! (Is it an ankh? Is it a serpent necklace? What could it be?)

Gotta get that serpent necklace!

3. jfgen

Good to see you guys are back!

Thanks for showing me that Albion game, I’ll be keeping an eye on that one, sounds really cool plus it seems to be truly cross-platform and projects liek that should be supported.

As for DF:UW I haven’t tried the new system yet, will probably do so during this week if I have the time ( I always end up in Wurm instead of DF ). I was so disappointed with the beta so far its getting hard for me to get back.
    Not even complaining about the wobble and stuff like that, its just that the game felt really boring for me. I reckon one of the reasons for that was the prowess system so I have to give it another go.

4. Gumbercules

Hahaha I was hoping it would be the crusty ass serpent necklace RG has been wearing his entire life.

5. Yak

I admit it’s been a while since I have listened to your show. You had some interesting topics and I really enjoyed it. Personally I think it;s better with two people. Keep up the good work and keep us updated on http://albiononline.com/

6. ryan

Enjoyed this cast. Funny thing is recently a dude from my twitchtv channel sent me a message to check out Albion also. Fate?

RE dota2 – the fun is found in teamwork and stomping your opponents through on the fly tactics and working out a general strat. You should play with us again, it was fun! And of course, everybody is welcome to join – regardless of skill level.

7. Lasker

Albion’s description sounds like that illusive perfect game! The only nitpick I can think of is the graphics. To be able to play on mobile devices, I also fear the controls for the PC will be compromised.

But if it has all the features that it mentioned, I don’t care even if it forces you to use trackball.

Is it ready for us to check out? or should we wait a few more months? I have 0 nostalgia for the game so Id rather it be in a good playable state.